
While I heard and read about fancy Father's Day gifts and places to eat and travel, Caitlin and I shopped for Jon. I knew we couldn't spend much, so Caitlin picked out some Scooby Doo stickers and a Jayhawk key chain for
her dad. "I know he'll love that Jayhawk, mom, because he just loves the Jayhawks." How innocent her excitement. I knew he didn't need a keychain, and much less probably wouldn't use it. But, Jon knows and understands that we can't afford big gifts or trips, or even a nice restaurant right now, and told us he didn't need anything. He means it, too. Mother's and Father's Days are big deals, I think. I wish we could go out and eat and get him a tv for his locker room that he wants, or a work bench for the basement so we don't need to use a desk. But, we are blessed. We are blessed that when he opened up those stickers, he put on a face that Caitlin was so excited to see! A face of love and adoration for his presents - no matter what they were,
because she picked them out...

In fact, Jon even mowed the lawn that day, and I got to go to the gym. What was supposed to be a day of sleeping in (which Jon let ME do), no work, and pretty much a day off, Jon didn't. When I got home from the gym - my family was playing with water balloons and getting drenched on such a hot hot Father's Day.

What a great day, what a
great dad. The kids love playing with him. They love when he takes them down the water slide at the park, or when he lets them stay up late and watch a movie and eat popcorn. They love when he lifts them up to make a dunk, or when he plays soccer and bat and ball with them. They love when he throws them on the bed or reads books. They love when they get to help with his projects and measure and hammer and paint. They love when he gives them hugs before games and when he wakes them up at night just to say "I love you."
Thank heaven for their dad.

A fitting end to a wonderful day. Happy Father's Day and
thank you for being you!
No comments:
Post a Comment