
I ran my first (and pretty sure my last) 1/2 marathon on Sunday, May 15th, 2010. I don't really have a bucket list, but if I did, running a 1/2 marathon would be on it. My time was 2 hours and 15 minutes. I didn't think that was too bad for my first one. There were plenty of hills, which explains my limp today.

The quote that kept me going was from a 60-some year old man as I was going up "Leavenworth's Pike's Peak." I had just gone up 3 hills with virtually no downhills to rest and I was trucking up this one steep and long hill. I thought, "let me just walk a little." I started walking and walked 2 sidewalk lengths (about 6 steps) when this man slowed slightly and said, "You can go slower, but never walk." I said, "Yeah, ok," and immediately picked up my feet. That quote stayed with me the whole run and I wish I found him after the race to thank him. I ran the whole thing minus 6 steps, so I felt proud.

Jon and the girls met me every 3 miles and welcomed me with cheers! They braved wet puddles and chilly weather but they cheered me on every step of the way! They spent 2 hours driving around Leavenworth catching up to cheer me on and take pictures! They were so supportive and gave me something to look forward to as my running partner had slowed on mile 1. I had no one to talk to and I was so thankful my family was there cheering me on so much!

The end of the race brought many smiles as it was over. The hills were many more than I had realized, and I vividly remember on Mile 12 praying to God to not let the increasing pain in both hips be a precursor to them breaking (yes, they hurt so bad I really was concerned they may break right before the finish line and I'd have to sign up to run another one of these insane races again)!
After the race, we went with my running partner and her family to a breakfast buffet at Granite City. On the way there, both feet cramped up several times and my hips were a constant bone stabbing pain. Today, my knees barely let me move, but I'm glad I did it. I finished, and that was it. Good-bye 1/2 marathon! See ya - wouldn't wanna be ya! It's over!
No comments:
Post a Comment